Light just stopped working, need some help

Old 03-26-17, 08:27 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Light just stopped working, need some help

The light above my washer and dryer just went out. Here's the story behind it and what I have tried.

It stopped working 4 months ago and 4 days later started working again. This time it has been 2 weeks and it came on for 1 day and went out and the light hasn't turned of for some time now.

It has 2 switches to control 1 light.

I changed out the fixture and still nothing. Changed out the bulbs and still nothing.

What could be causing this?

It is still receiving power as I have a little device that shows if there is current running through the wires.

Old 03-26-17, 09:06 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
It is still receiving power as I have a little device that shows if there is current running through the wires.
But non contact testers are useless for determining if you really have voltage. For that you need a multimeter, preferably analog (or a neon tester or a solenoid voltage detector.
It has 2 switches to control 1 light.
Tell us all the wiring at each switch. Tell us the wiring at the light.

Old 03-27-17, 03:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I think this is an extension of this thread. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...off-light.html

Old 03-27-17, 04:28 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
No, the other one wouldn't turn off, was a replacement for a fan and wasn't on a 3-way switch. This one it seems to be one that doesn't turn on and has been there a while.

Bjorns, it might be simpler/easier/less confusing if you concentrated on one light at a time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: