Q on replacing dining room light

Old 03-31-17, 12:26 PM
J
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Q on replacing dining room light

Hi folks - I'm sure this is an easy question for you experts. I'm replacing an old hanging light over the dining room table. It's only a 2-wire light, no ground wire.

The new light I'm installing is a typical 5-bulb Hampton Bay light from Home Depot. It has 2 wires (one with smooth cover and one with "ribbed" cover), and then 1 bare ground wire.

If you look at my diagram, this is how the old light was installed. Here's my explanation of my awesome MS Paint drawing :-)

1. There are three "feeds" that come into the box. The black wire from feed #1, the black wire from feed #2, and the white wire from feed #3 are tied together.

2. The white wire from feed #1, the white wire from feed #2, and one of the wires from the old light are tied together.

3. The black wire from feed #3 is tied to the old light's other wire.

4. Then the 3 ground (bare) wires from each of the three feeds are attached together with a copper clip, and then one of them goes to the metal clip on the box, the second one is "clipped short", and the third one is just hanging loose.

My questions are:
1. Do I install the 2 wires coming from the new light in the same manner as the old lamp? Are the two wires the same, or is the "ribbed" one different from the smooth? (Quick update - I spoke to the light's company and he said the "grooved" or "ribbed" wire goes to the ceiling's white wire, and the light's smooth wire goes to the ceiling's black wire.)

2. Do I hook up the light's ground wire to the box's ground wire that I labeled "hanging"? Or should I leave those three ground wires alone, and just hook up the light's ground wire to the green screw of the mounting strap?)

Any other tips would be great! Thanks!

Name:  dining room light.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  29.2 KB

Last edited by John Palatzo; 03-31-17 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-31-17, 01:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,154 Likes on 2,834 Posts
In your diagram.....
cables 1 and 2 are feed in and feed out. The feed in would be hot.
cable 3 is the switch loop.

You connect your new fixture the same way the old one was with the addition of the ground wire connected to that hanging ground wire.
The smooth side is the hot/black and the ribbed side is the neutral/white.

Old 03-31-17, 02:32 PM
J
Thanks PJ! Just out of curiosity, is it the same idea if I would've connected the ground wire from the light to the green screw on the metal strap, instead of connecting it to the "hanging" ground wire from the ceiling?

Old 03-31-17, 03:04 PM
Group Moderator
The screw on the bar is usually for boxes that don't have a ground wire available to connect to.

Old 03-31-17, 04:06 PM
J
Is there any harm in leaving it connected to the green screw? I had already connected it to the green screw and closed up shop :-)...but I can open it back up and connect it to the ground wire instead if the screw is incorrect.

Old 03-31-17, 04:12 PM
Group Moderator
That is fine...... leave it on the green screw.

Old 03-31-17, 04:16 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
If a metal box the ground wire should go to the box. I'd pigtail it to both the box and the fixture.

Old 03-31-17, 05:54 PM
J
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: