Running power to patio fan

Old 04-04-17, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running power to patio fan

Hi All,

First timer here to DIY forums. Have a project where I'm trying to find best way to run power from the inside of the house out to the ceiling of the patio for a new outdoor ceiling fan install (living in south Louisiana trying to keep away the mosquitos!)

There is a photo of the patio currently. I am removing the hanging lights and putting up soffit over the 2x4 joists to hide those and the roofing nails. I want to mount the fan more or less in the middle of the patio, and wire run can be hidden by the ceiling material. I am looking at a couple of circuits to tap into for power to this:

Light fixture 1 is by door to kitchen
Light fixture 2 is by door to master
Flood light is hidden by 2x6 in photo but is mounted to underside of existing soffit and its switch is right by kitchen door on right
There is also GFCI outlet below right side of grill

I feel OK with doing the actual wiring of the fan, etc but am unsure of best method to get the cable from the interior to the exterior, and am hesitant about doing too much drilling through walls or fascia.

I am favoring trying to tap into GFCI power (plenty of power on that circuit) and bringing power out through the fascia then running in ceiling to fan. I don't know much about code this could violate especially for going from interior to exterior but welcome any insight from those who have more experience!
Name:  Patio_notes.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  45.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-17, 05:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I have a fan under my awning and receptacles on the columns. I used 1/2" EMT (thin metal conduit) for all my connections. It's small and easy to bend. After installation you can pull in required wiring.

My awning is aluminum and I have a 4x4 across the center I installed for snow load handling. I mounted the fan directly to that 4x4. No box. I installed a short power cord in the base of the fan and plug it in on the side of the 4x4.

Your cover looks lower than mine which means you'd want to keep the extension pipe short from the mount to the fan. You need to make sure the blades don't hit your center support and if the fan is too close to the ceiling..... the air flow can be poor.

Since you are apparently covering up all your exposed joists you can easily use UF type cable. It's basically non metallic cable made for use in wet locations. It can be installed up in the canopy.

As far as where to get power..... a GFI circuit is preferred. You'd need to locate the easiest place to get power from and then figure out if you're going to use a wall switch, the pull chains or a remote.

Old 04-04-17, 05:44 PM
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
Where does the GFCI receptacle get its feed?is it possible to fish a wire down from the top drilling into the top plate from outside, it's hard to tell from the pics what that wall looks like.

Old 04-05-17, 06:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys for your input!

The GFI receptacle is in a circuit with an outlet in the garage. The house is 1 story so from the attic I'm pretty sure I could fish a wire down to the receptacle and tap into that circuit. I prefer the idea of constant power to the fan, then turn it on/off via the pull chain. I don't want it tied to a switch with a light.

But if I'm to tap into the circuit with the GFI receptacle, what is the best way to bring the power from indoors to exterior? I'm guessing I'd have to drill through something, just wondering if it's siding, fascia, soffit, etc.

Thanks again!

Old 04-05-17, 05:27 PM
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
It looks like the garage is on the other of the wall at light fixture #2,if you drilled straight the end rafter would you be above the garage ceiling? It's really hard to tell from the pics.
Geo