Wiring a new spotlight to existing HALO H99T can light

Old 04-15-17, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring a new spotlight to existing HALO H99T can light

Hi, everybody

I started this project thinking I would have access to an existing H99T can light junction box, based on the words in the HALO spec: "The housing can be removed from the plaster frame for access to the junction box". Given that access, my plan was to run a short line over to the wall, add a box and mount a spotlight for our display case.

Name:  Display downlight.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  12.4 KB

Name:  Halo H99T Installed.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  22.8 KB

Name:  New Spotlight.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  15.4 KB

My problem is I cannot seem to find a way to remove the light housing from the plaster frame to get to the junction box (as the spec says) given the limited access from below the finished installation.

Is there truly a way to remove the housing to gain access to the junction box without tearing into the ceiling or wall?

Thanks for your help!

John

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-17, 03:55 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
There are usually three screws (pretty sure I can see one of them in your photo) that hold the can to the frame. Remove the screws and lower the can down through the opening in the frame. Then you can access the junction box.

It does appear that you have some plaster or sheetrock compound slopped over the edge of the can that would interfere with lowering the can, so you may need to carefully chip away the compound holding the can. Any rough edge will be covered by the trim.

Old 04-15-17, 06:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 45 Posts
You will need to take a utility knife around the trim housing and complete the gap around the can. (circled in green)

Name:  can housing.png
Views: 257
Size:  261.7 KB

If you do not see any screws the can housing is held in with spring clips. Just pull down on the housing with a little back and forth rocking to remove it.

Note: You will need to install a remodel box to mount your new fixture.

Old 04-15-17, 10:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 308 Posts
That can is held in with the barbed spring clips.

Housing is secured in plaster frame with spring barbs. The housing can be adjusted in the plaster frame to adjust for different ceiling materials. The housing can be removed from
the plaster frame for access to the junction box.

It's not going to be a picnic getting to that junction box thru a 4" opening..... since that's a 4" can.

Name:  h99t.JPG
Views: 199
Size:  23.1 KB

Old 04-16-17, 07:27 AM
Thank you all for your input! I'm not going to work on this today...it's Easter for heaven's sake. But it looks like I need to clean up around the housing lip before trying to work it out of the plaster frame. I thought perhaps the housing might detach by pushing it in rather than pulling it out...thanks for that information! And I'm sure PJmax is right; this will be no picnic with this limited access, especially mounting a remodel box and wiring through a 4" hole. But I'll give it a try and let you guys know.

Regards,

John

Old 04-16-17, 09:25 AM
Since you are wiring in such a limited space you might want to use push in wire connectors:

Ideal 32 Red In-Sure 2-Port Connectors (100-Pack)-30-1032P - The Home Depot

I've had success using two tools to hold the wire and push the connector on.

Happy Easter