Motion/light sensor for patio light string

Old 04-07-17, 07:29 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Motion/light sensor for patio light string

I recently installed a string of outdoor patio lights. They are on a cord that plugs into an outlet (similar to this https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/11...Rb8BoCWdTw_wcB)

Right now I just have an extension cord running to it, but I would like a more permanent setup. Within a foot of the plug-in end of the string is a security light fixture. It does not have a switch, just operates on motion/darkness. I'd like to remove that fixture and use those wires as power source for my light string.

Since there is no switch tied to that fixture location I've considered just installing a motion/light detector so that the lights come on anytime we walk outside and it's dark. My idea is to replace the existing light fixture with a plug receptacle, plug in the motion/light detector, and connect light string to motion/light detector (ideally with the plug at end of the light string). But I can't really find anything that easily allows that setup.

I'm open to other/better ideas...hopefully I've explained the setup well enough for some input. Thanks for any help!

Old 04-17-17, 12:29 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bump to see if there are any better ideas / advice

thanks

Old 04-17-17, 06:34 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I'd like to remove that fixture and use those wires as power source for my light string.
Removing the plug is technically a code violation. You could install an outdoor box and receptacle with a bubble cover. Some motion security lights have a "third" wire to connect to additional lights using it as the master control. You would need to open the light to see if that could be done with yours.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: