How to power garden light string

Old 04-18-17, 03:05 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to power garden light string

Hi all

I would like to install in my garden one of those fancy light string, BUT i don't have a clue about how to power the whole thing.
There are no accessible sockets nearby so I would eventually use an extension wire plugged in my kitchen all the way to my garden.
It's not really attractive nor comfy so I was wondering if you have any alternative suggestion that it would make it easier.
I was thinking about a battery... is it feasible?

Thank you!

Old 04-18-17, 03:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Having a remote location, yes, I would fall back on a solar panel with battery(ies) to power them at night. Of course you would need low voltage lighting, but it is readily available. Is this a "garden", or an entertainment area? Sort of difficult to know.

Old 04-18-17, 03:35 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I would eventually use an extension wire plugged in my kitchen all the way to my garden.
Extension cords are for temporary use only. What you propose would not be code compliant. Close enough for an extension cord close enough for correct wiring.

Is the distance 200 feet or less? Is there an outdoor receptacle on the side of the house facing the garden.

Old 04-18-17, 12:43 PM
T
Unluckily I'm a tenant so I'm not allowed to wire stuff.... that's also one of the reason this thing has to work on its own.

The garden is around 25 m^2 but there's already a light, so I would use a string with 6 to 10 bulbs max.

I like the idea of using a solar panel to charge the battery (even though in England sun it's not really an option)... but how many batteries do I need to have 4-5 hours of light?
Are we talking about 12V bulbs I guess... am I correct?

Thank you again

Old 04-18-17, 03:01 PM
but there's already a light
Yep, tenants can't mess with things due to liability concerns. But if there is a light, can't you use it as an access point for additional lighting. You can't use the extension cord safely. How long do the lights need to burn? Running the batteries in parallel will give you 12 volts but will increase your amp rating, so it will last longer.

Old 04-18-17, 03:36 PM
T
Are you suggesting to get the rid of the existing light and re-use the wiring to put my string?

If it is so.... I can't. The landlord is one of those.

I need 4-5 hours of burning.... lets say the time to eat and drink something with no rush.

Old 04-18-17, 04:25 PM
In your research you will need to know the total wattage of the bulbs you want to use and the amp hour rating of the battery(ies) you choose. Wattage divided by voltage will give you amps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: