Removing ceiling outlet/installing ceiling fan box

Old 04-26-17, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing ceiling outlet/installing ceiling fan box

I'm trying to install a ceiling fan box but am having trouble with the current outlet. I'm pretty sure it isn't fan-ready, as I can't see any label on it, nor can I see it attached to any joists after cutting out a wider circle. I was planning on installing a ceiling fan brace of some kind, but the current box has several wires that are woven into it through the holes at the top (and that don't seem to hang down and attach to the current light) so removing the current box seems to be quite a challenge (especially for someone who is not used to working with electricity in any way). Does anyone have thoughts on what to do? Do I just pony up and pay someone to do it for me? I'd hate to do this because I'm a cheapskate, but if that's what's necessary I'll do it.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-17, 05:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 309 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Ceiling outlet ? An actual receptacle in the ceiling ?

We need to see that wiring. A picture or two well lit and posted here.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 04-27-17, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mod note: Contains incorrect information. See correct info in responding posts.

Outlet, meaning the box that is used for the current ceiling light? That wouldn't be an outlet. Sounds like someone previously used it as a junction box as well as for the light. Happens all the time. If you arent comfortable around electric-hire it done. But as you said a cheap....if I were you turn off the breaker. Go up in the attic and attach a board that will fit between your rafters-right above said box-flush with the top side of it, make sure that top of the said box has a hold in it that you can screw into. Put 2 screws in each end of the board to fasten it tight. considering the weight of a fan a 2x4 should do it.

Go back to room and remove wires, make sure you do not undo any attachments/connections. Screw as many screws as you can to attach the box to the board you just put in the attic. You may want to predrill to prevent any gap between board and top of box.

Push all the wires back in (don't undo any) and your box is now ready for the weight of the fan.

Electricity is NOT something to mess with lightly. I know it's expensive but it could be your life. It's worth it. You may want to install another box and turn that into a junction box. I did that with a bunch of mine.

Last edited by ray2047; 04-27-17 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-27-17, 07:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Of all the advice we give on the forums regarding the correct installation of ceiling fans, this one takes the cake. Sorry, outlets are anywhere electricity pours out (to use an elementary term). Receptacles are outlets. Light fixtures are mounted to outlets, so that is why we ask clarification as to whether or not it was a receptacle in the ceiling.

Next, all the lumber in Washington state mounted between the studs won't suffice if you don't use a proper fan rated box. Fans are NOT to be attached to the bent over ears alone in a box. Note the picture and see the depth the screws go to attach, and that they are 10-24, not 8-32 as on the ears. This is for the safety of the posters, so we tend to give accurate information.

When done with proper education and guidance working with electricity can be a fascinating activity. Not heeding safety concerns or taking shortcuts, or just doing sloppy work can get you in trouble. Since this is a DO IT YOURSELF forum, we tend not to tell folks to go hire a professional until we are certain they cannot handle the job.

Old 04-27-17, 09:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 309 Posts
Members.... you are missing the point of a fan rated box.

It's not only about how the box is fastened in the ceiling..... it's how the fan is fastened to the box. A fan rated box has heavier mounting hardware and reinforced areas where that hardware attaches.

Before we can offer any additional information we need to wait for the OP to show us his existing wiring.

Old 04-27-17, 11:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Echo Echo. To add it isn't just weight it is static load verses dynamic load. Regular ceiling boxes used for lights are rated for static loads only. For a fan you need a box rated for dynamic loads.

Old 04-28-17, 03:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
And to further educate our first time advisors, here's what is required for fan installation.

Name:  fan rated box.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  26.7 KB

Name:  fan rated box 2.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  6.3 KB