I'm having trouble figuring out how to do add LED rope lights to my deck...

Old 05-04-17, 06:33 AM
I'm having trouble figuring out how to do add LED rope lights to my deck...

I'm planning on hard wiring the rope light's cord to within the electrical box on the left where I have a switch. My problem is that the cord contains a rectifier and fuses within the plug and I'd need a pretty excessively large box to contain the entire cord.

Secondly, I was going to then run power over to the right side and hardwire it as well, but again found that led ropes have all this inside the cord and don't have room there either.

Can you guys throw out some ideas on this? I'm stuck.

Name:  deck.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  34.5 KB
Name:  deck1.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  57.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-17, 06:50 AM
Could you mount switched in-use boxes below the deck (out of sight), plug the lights in there, and then cover the vertical section of light with an opaque tubing (if you don't want the vertical part to be seen)?

Old 05-04-17, 07:01 AM
I think that's a great idea and I was pondering it this morning. The only frustrating foreseeable problem is that I had hoped replacement ropes (when they eventually fail) would be as easy as opening the box and wiring in a new one, where running the rope lights down to a hidden space sucks because I have a "dry deck" system underneath. This would require me to remove a deck board every time to feed the wire to the box.

Do you think it's just the right way to do it, and I should go that route even at the hassle of running the rope light down below?

Old 05-05-17, 11:55 AM
Group Moderator
Based on your choice of LED strips there isn't much of an alternative.