MR16 halogen lights to GU10 or other

Old 05-29-17, 01:44 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
MR16 halogen lights to GU10 or other

Greetings!
We purchased a house built in 1997. There are ~30 recessed lighting fixtures with MR16 Halogen bulbs with bi-pin connectors throughout...in the kitchen, living room, a cathedral ceiling and our front porch. Unfortunately most are significantly positional as though the pins aren't making good contact and require frequent rearrangement. Internet reading suggests that the contacts form 'pits' and other irregularities over time causing this problem. There are sites that demonstrate converting the bi-pin MR16/ transformer to a GU10 base but mostly these sites are international. There is also mention that this is not code.

Can this be done? If so, is an electrician necessary? I can splice together wire. Is there a kit? Is this code? I live in Maine, by the way.

Thanks.

Old 05-29-17, 01:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,992 Upvotes on 3,583 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Are these 12v or 120v halogen bulbs ?

Most of the sockets those cans came with were junk. I've spent a lot of time replacing them with better ceramic sockets although with age and heat they can fail too.

Are you trying to convert to LED ?

Old 05-29-17, 02:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 881 Upvotes on 744 Posts
I am not sure what the benifet of converting it to a GU10 base would be when you an get all sorts of MR16 LED lamps.

I would recommend either replacing the sockets, or just converting them to an LED replacement trim ring/lamp in one.

Old 05-29-17, 05:09 PM
G
The bulbs are 12v. If I understand correctly, the 12v socket would require a transformer, correct? I dont see it but it may be on the other side of the can.

Not necessarily trying to convert to LED...just tired of the lights going out and then pulling out the light/socket to find the sweet spot for the connection which usually goes away as I reseat the light.

Last edited by gschimma; 05-29-17 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-29-17, 05:22 PM
G
Seems like the Gu10 base is more substantial than the bi-pin base. Started taking down lights that work and it looks as though some of those sockets have been replaced. Seems like an easier change, assuming I just have to splice the wires. Any ideas where to get replacements?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: