3 way switch - dim light

Old 06-04-17, 11:19 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
3 way switch - dim light

Hey everyone,

I have added some new wiring to my garage and having some trouble.

I installed two 3 way switches and a light but the light (2 4ft LEDs) are running dim.

It's wired: power, switch, switch, light.

I followed option 1 here 3 Way Switch Wiring Diagram

I believe o got it right but any ideas or things I can check would be great!

Thank you

Old 06-04-17, 11:58 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Be sure you actually connected the commons to the commons on the switches you have. The commons on your switches may not be located in the same place as the diagram switches. Common location varies with manufacturer. You must go by terminal color, the odd colored screw (other than green) usually dark gray. That or the letter "C" embossed on the switch.

If these are electronic switches instead of mechanical they may not be compatable with LEDs.

Old 06-05-17, 12:51 AM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I believe I used a Leviton decora 3 way switch of that helps. Would that work with a LED?

I believe the commons are black screw on these so maybe I got that wrong. So would the power source black wire go to the first switch common and the light black go to the second switches common?

Old 06-05-17, 02:25 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
would the power source black wire go to the first switch common and the light black go to the second switches common?
Yes, that is correct. And yes it sounds like you used mechanical switches so they should be okay.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: