separating two lights on a parallel circuit for ceiling fan.

Old 06-07-17, 08:28 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
separating two lights on a parallel circuit for ceiling fan.

So my living room has two light fixtures (installed by builder) that are controlled by one switch. I want to install a ceiling fan in the existing fixture closer to the center of the room. Problem is i want the fan/light controlled separately from the other light in the room(in the background of the picture). now this would be easy if there were load wires for each light, but i am going to assume not... (i should have checked my switch box). But from the picture i took of the wires from the removed light fixture someone told me it's a parellel circuit... (i'm not electrician). and said it wasn't possible to split it up to two switches... is that correct? is there ANYWAY i can split the light from the ceiling fan and install a 3rd switch?

Thank you!

Name:  wiring2.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  15.4 KB

Old 06-07-17, 09:46 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You would need to run new cable

Old 06-07-17, 10:19 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
: < why do they make it so hard... i think i am going to just get a wireless receiver/switch combo for the light and hard wire the fan.. keep the switch in the on position and use the remote..Name:  wiring3.jpg
Views: 2851
Size:  15.5 KB

Old 06-07-17, 11:20 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If you put a wireless receiver in both the fan and light that would work or if the fan had pull chains and you bypassed the original switch.

However if you did not have a switch for the fan other than the wall switch the fan would have to be on for the light to work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: