Outdoor string lights

Old 06-10-17, 07:03 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Outdoor string lights

So the family presented me with a "we need this" project.

They would like to add string lights (think christmas tree lights) from the eve of the second story deck out to the arbor. Two strings, one from each corner.

There is only one plug outside, near the center of the deck at deck level, doubt this will be usable.

At one corner of the deck is a bedroom with a knee wall so access to the eve may be possible, have never looked behind the insulation.

The other corner is at the great room with vaulted ceiling so no access from inside.

Is one outlet acceptable with extension cord or hard wire to second string? If each string needs outlet can it be run within the eve along the outside of the house?

Old 06-10-17, 07:19 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It's probably ok but what else is on that circuit?

Old 06-10-17, 11:33 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Extension cords are for temporary use only. If these are permanent you need to hardwire the receptacles. The receptacles need to be weather resistant GFCI protected and have in use bubble covers (not the old flapper covers).

If each string needs outlet can it be run within the eve along the outside of the house?
If you really mean inside the soffit, yes.

Old 06-10-17, 07:49 PM
Is one outlet acceptable with extension cord or hard wire to second string?
Let me re-phase this, can I have a single outlet at the house to provide power to string #1, with a hard wired set of plugs across the arbor that would provide the power to the second set of lights (from string #1)?

This would replace having to wire up 2 outlets.

Old 06-10-17, 08:46 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
can I have a single outlet at the house to provide power to string #1, with a hard wired set of plugs across the arbor that would provide the power to the second set of lights
Receptacles not plugs but yes if I understand you but I'm not sure what you mean by "hard wired set of plugs [sic]". What is a set of receptacles?

Old 06-11-17, 05:40 AM
After thinking about my original plan, it would have required one string of lights to have male plug on both ends, I think this is how it will need to be done.

Point 1 is at the great room so that box would have to be fed from Point 2 which is where the knee wall exists and I think I can get to.

Power to point 1 would come from point 2 and would be within the eve/soffit of the roof overhang.

Points 3 & 4 would not have anything.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 232
Size:  24.8 KB

So these would be normal outdoor type of receptacle?

Lights would be plugged in permanently so now I'm thinking about a switch.

That wall is brick so I dont really want something surface mounted, maybe a photo cell so they would just be on at night!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: