Removal Help of Older Hanger Box

Old 06-11-17, 08:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removal Help of Older Hanger Box

Just bought a ceiling fan that I need to install. I removed the old fixture and the old existing hanger box (see picture) has its ends sandwiched between the drywall and the stud.

The mounting holes for the ceiling fan bracket on the existing box are too close together. I am trying to figure out how to remove this box. I don't think that this is an adjustable box. I also don't want to cut the two hangers with a sawzall and then not be able to remove the hangers if they are nailed to the bottom of the joist.

By the way this house was built in the 1940s.

Name:  20170611_093414 (Medium).jpg
Views: 114
Size:  32.2 KB

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-17, 08:23 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The hangers can't be reused and will need to be cut to install a fan rated hanger.

Old 06-11-17, 08:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 66 Posts
That box/bracket is not rated to support a ceiling fan. It needs to be removed and a proper box/support installed. Cutting the old bracket out is fairly easy as the metal is not very strong. I have done it many times.

It looks like you have a plenty big hole to work through so installing a new box/bracket shoul dbe fairly easy. This is an example of the bracket you need: 15.5 cu. in. Retrofit Ceiling Fan Saf-T-Brace-0110000 - The Home Depot check out the video as well to see how it is done. There are other models available.

Old 06-11-17, 08:53 AM
I guess I wasn't clear on my original post. I know that I need to cut the hangers and that they cannot be reused. However, my question is will I be able to remove the hangers from between the drywall and ceiling joist. I am unsure if they were nailed into the bottom of the joist or not. Otherwise it would be really difficult to install a ceiling fan box if the hangers are still inside.

The hanger that is bent down (right by the white wire) isn't screwed to the side of the joist and seems to be wedged between the joist and sheetrock. The other hanger goes straight out from the top of the box and I couldn't get my hand in to see how it is attached to the joist.

Old 06-11-17, 09:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
Just remove box and any hanger in the way. Don't worry about things under drywall. Won't hurt anything.

Old 06-11-17, 09:16 AM
That is exactly my problem. If the hanger is nailed to the bottom of the joist, I won't be able to install a new ceiling fan box as the remnant will be in the way and I really don't want to break the drywall to remove it. I will not be able to cut the hanger flush to the joist without tearing up the drywall.

Old 06-11-17, 09:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 66 Posts
Yes you can. Just cut the bar with a hacksaw or sawzall and then bend back and forth in the joist cavity and it will break off. Even if you don't get it all out the new bracket can likely straddle the old one as the new bracket connects to the side of the joist while the old one in nailed to the bottom.