3 Light fixture

Old 06-12-17, 11:47 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
3 Light fixture

I installed a new 3 light fixture in my upstairs bathroom. The light and all other power is working fine in the bathroom. The hallway light and outlet on the stairs doesn't work now. I reset all the outlets in the bathroom and checked the outlets with a plug checker and they were fine. I did reset all the breakers but the light and outlet on the stairs still isn't working. Help

Old 06-12-17, 01:20 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Tell us all the wires at the light. It sounds like power to the problem fixtures came from the light box. Did you disconnect any wires other than what was connected to the old light? You shouldn't have

Old 06-12-17, 01:52 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The wire in the box had a black, white and ground. The fixture was the same. I connected the wires white to white, black to black and grounds to green screw on fixture. I even discounted the fixture, capped the wires and turn the power back on and still no power to hallway light and hallway outlet

Old 06-12-17, 02:54 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
And you are sure there are no other wires in the light junction box? If so then the problem could be at the switch even if you didn't touch it. How many 2-conductor cables (black, white +grnd) at the switch? Are there three cables?

Try removing and redoing all wire nuts. Any backstabbed wires must go to the screws. If there are more than one wire that needs to go to a screw it should be pigtailed. Be sure to not mix up the wires. Where a backstab has a wire and its associated screw has a wire those to wires must be kept together in a pigtail to the screw.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: