3 way fan control

Old 06-27-17, 02:40 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
3 way fan control

I have a wall switch with a light dimmer and a 3 speed fan lever. I want to add an additional control for the fan about 10 ft away.Do I need a special brand for this????
I dont want a remote ....I want to hard wire it...but the wire will be run outside of the wall
because I dont want to bust up the sheetrock..any ideas????

Old 06-27-17, 03:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
As far as I know you cannot attach two wired fan controls together.

Old 06-27-17, 10:01 PM
C
If you buy two fan speed control switches rated for fan speed only and you have the fan leg rewired into a 3 way system then it will work but it's something you will need to call a licenced electrician for because it's pretty in depth.

Old 06-28-17, 08:36 AM
Group Moderator
@cfelty.... if you know of fan speed control switches that can be used together... post the model number.

There are none that I'm aware of.

Old 06-28-17, 01:08 PM
C
It's not too common but I have had to do it a couple times over the years. I think there are a couple ways of doing it and different companies make different set ups like p&s made them or leviton had a version and without digging too deep lutron has one and it's ma-fq4fm and ma-afq4.

Old 06-28-17, 01:44 PM
Group Moderator
Ok.... thanks for the heads up.

Those will work.... a master and a slave but you also need to install the receiver which does not fit in all fan canopies.

Old 06-28-17, 02:27 PM
C
Now that you say that I don't know if I have ever used anything other than a master/slave set up. It seems like I have but I really don't know. In theory would a mechanical system work because master slave is electronic. In a mechanical system there is always contact via traveler to common in each switch all the time completing the circuit so if switch a is set at low speed and you turn switch b on high the fan motor should respond because the load is going through switch a but the circuit is still complete... I can't remember like I said it's been 10 years since I put one in probably. I didn't even think about the canopy part of it btw whoops

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: