I need help to install a pendant light to the ceiling

Old 07-06-17, 02:03 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I need help to install a pendant light to the ceiling

Hello,
I recently bought a pendant light and I thought it would be easy to install it myself, the sales person said it's as easy as black to black and white to white. when I opened the cap for the junction box I saw green, yellow an white wires. the light's wire ends says L and N, I have no idea what connects to what and which one is the ground wire. How can I make sure there is no electricity in the wires before I start to work I don't have an electrical tester. Is it possible for the wires to still have electricity even if I turn the electricity off from the fuse box? it's a new condo in Toronto. Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  48.8 KBName:  image2.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  16.0 KB

Old 07-06-17, 06:19 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Yellow is a hot. L=line=hot. White is neutral. N=Neutral=white. So "L" to yellow. "N" to white.

To be absolutely sure you need the check the wiring at the switch. You ceiling box picture was not much help because you didn't remove the fixture hanger and pull the wires out but I think I'm correct.

Old 07-06-17, 08:36 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Ray, I know the picture is not good enough, I wasn't sure I can touch them. Should I just leave the green wire? Is that the ground wire?

Old 07-06-17, 10:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,399 Votes on 1,296 Posts
The green wire is the ground and should be attached to the green screw on the bar.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: