Fan Wall Control Switch plus Remote Control

Old 07-07-17, 12:04 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fan Wall Control Switch plus Remote Control

I'm looking into the possibility of installing a fan wall control switch along with a remote control, but am not sure how possible this is. Currently the fan in my bedroom is controlled by a three way switch (one at the entrance of the bedroom, and one on the other side). Sadly I do not have desired use of the second three way switch since it's located likely where the previous owners had their bed, but I do not. The fate of the second three way switch doesn't matter to me since I'll likely end up removing it or boxing it off at some point anyway.

The issue I'm having is the fan also supplies the only lighting in the room so I have to get up and pull the pull chain on the fan or turn off the switch at the room entrance. I'd like to, instead, wire in a fan wall control switch like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-...an+wall+switch

Once the wall switch is installed, though, I still have the problem of needing to get up to turn off the fan light. Now my actual question: Is it possible to install such a fan wall switch AND a remote control? I'd like for the wall switch to be fully functional, but only care if the remote control is capable of turning on and off the fan light.

Currently, as I'm sure you have already gathered, there is three wire running from the switch to the fan. Ideally, I'd be able to achieve this without running new wire, but even if I have to, I'd like to hear how I could accomplish it.

Old 07-07-17, 01:49 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,107 Upvotes on 1,886 Posts
If you want a remote it would be easiest to just install a new fan that has remote control. You would not use the light switch in the wall. You would just leave it in the on position then control the light and fan from the remote. You can still have the fan switches in the wall but that will turn power on and off to the fan so it would be all or nothing.

If you want to be able to control the light and fan from one switch location in the wall. You might have to run a new wire to the fan but depending on how your house is wired it could be done from the existing switch. You would have to remove the other 3 way switch and cap it's opening off with a blank cover plate. The key is how your three way circuit is wired. You would not have a remote with this scenario and I don't know a any ceiling fans that allow hard wired and remote control.

Old 07-07-17, 10:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,884 Upvotes on 3,481 Posts
I have a Hunter fan and the original wireless remote came with a wall mounting bracket. I have that one on the wall and a second one at my night table.

Works great. You can get a second remote control for most fans.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: