Yanked kitchen lights lost power in basement

Old 07-08-17, 07:14 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yanked kitchen lights lost power in basement

Note: I'm having an electrician sort this out this week but not being able to figure this out is driving me nuts.

Preface: Just bought a house (built in '68) and we're renovating the kitchen (which was previously renovated in '08). We're down to the studs and I ripped out the old ceiling can lights and wiring.

The current situation: I'm left with a 14/2 hot source from the ceiling and a 14/3 from the old switch (no power) that goes into the floor, presumably to the other side of the room to the other switch (which is still connected as it was).

The problem: I noticed half the basement lights no longer work. Figuring I must have disconnected something, I connected the black/white wires from the hot 14/2 (from the ceiling) to the black/white wires of the not-hot 14/3 (from the floor). Pow. Breaker trips.

Any thoughts as to what's happening? Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-17, 07:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 37 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

The black and white of the 14/3 are likely part of a 3 way system going to the other side of the room to the other switch. The white could be a hot wire and just not marked with black tape indicating such. Disconnect the other switch from the box, leaving the wires attached, and post what wires are in that box and what is connected to the switch.

Old 07-08-17, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much for the reply! I'll run over first thing tomorrow and report back.

Old 07-08-17, 08:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts