Help on wiring ceiling fans with lights and separate switches

Old 07-17-17, 10:58 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool Help on wiring ceiling fans with lights and separate switches

I am putting three ceiling fans with light kits in a room. The feed wire comes from an outlet. I would like all three fans to operate on two separate switches, one for the lights and one for the fans. I know how to wire them to one switch and not affect the outlet, but I am confused as how to wire them with two separate switches. Looking for help. Name:  IMG_3050.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  19.0 KB

Old 07-17-17, 11:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
The feed needs to go to the two switches first.

Name:  3fan.jpg
Views: 1853
Size:  20.3 KB
(grounds not shown but must be connected)

Old 07-17-17, 12:11 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Wiring

NEC requires a neutral at each light switch. Therefore, the cable from the light switch to the light circuits will need to be 3-conductoe plus ground.(black,red, white,ground.) Since the power comes in at the fans/lights, you will use a switch loop to to switch the lights on and off. You will also control the fans with a switch loop. This can be 2 conductors plus ground. (black,white, ground.)

At the light switch, cap the white wire(neutral). Connect the red and black to the two screws on the switch. At the light, connect the black from the switch to the black light wire. Connect the red wire from the switch to the black power wire. Connect all neutrals together(power, light, and fan).

For the fans, at the switch connect the black and white wires to the two switch screws. Mark the white as black with a short length of black tape at the switch and at the fan. At the fan, connect the black from the switch to the black fan wire. Connect the marked with tape white to the power wire.

Hope this helps. Others will chime in as needed.

Edit(Was typing while Pj posted.) PJ's solution is best if you can send power to the switches first.

Old 07-17-17, 12:30 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You guys are awesome! That's why I love this forum. I can get the feed to the switches with no problem. I will update in a couple days and let you know how it all went. Also I am assuming that everywhere I just connect all whites together

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: