Additional lights from 3 way switch with 4 wires

Old 08-14-17, 06:27 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Additional lights from 3 way switch with 4 wires

i have a single light with a 3 way switch (2 switches) and 4 wires running in them.
Black, white, red and yellow. I was trying to add new lights but am having issues getting the others to light.
The switch that has the power coming in has black in upper right (facing switch), red left and (only 1 terminal there), yellow on the lower right.
Other switch has black upper right, but the red and yellow are reversed so yellow upper right and red on the right.
But this switch shares the box with another switch and fixture light. The white goes all the way through the box to the outside light. The outside light switch has black on upper left and yellow on upper right which comes from the outside light.
In the light fixture im trying to add lights to (not outside light) the red are connected, whites connected, yellows to fixture black and blacks connected.
When i add other other lights, they aren't coming on. I tried putting all the whites together and then all the blacks, no luck. Then all the whites and other lights black to the fixtures yellow and no luck.
what am i missing?

Last edited by moneycarlo; 08-14-17 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-14-17, 08:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
First, the position descriptions are meaningless since orientation is not a standard. On a 3 way switch you just need to pay attention to the odd colored screw. This is the common. The others are called travelers.

Old 08-14-17, 08:13 PM
M
Yeah i was just reviewing that and it appears the red wire is on the black screw on both switches, which i was under the impression that would be the black from the power.

Old 08-14-17, 08:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
There are several ways to wire three way switches. In one scenario the power could be coming in on the black screw or leaving to the fixture.

Old 08-14-17, 09:07 PM
M
we replaced the wire from the breaker to the switch and it's not the red wire carrying power. So it seems odd to me that the red wire is used on the black screw when we've got power coming in on black.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: