Help needed on kitchen lighting layout

Old 08-19-17, 04:46 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help needed on kitchen lighting layout

Have read through a lot of posts and trying to finalize my plans for recessed lighting in our kitchen. My initial plan is to go with 6" canisters unless there proves a better option for my kitchen layout. Image further down.
-- One thing I'm struggling with is proximity of the lights to the walls, or in some cases, upper cabinets (leave ~2 ft. of gap between top and ceiling). Should I shift the top row of lights up (towards top of image) even if they will be less than 3 ft from the wall/sliding door?
-- Another thing, is it okay that the light near the sink would be somewhat behind you? I've heard that isn't ideal.

Looking for any general thoughts on how I lay this out or improvements. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-19-17, 09:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 860 Upvotes on 723 Posts
I would suggest moving the lights by the sliding door so they are centered on that space. Also your layout looks good on paper but there maybe many obstructions that will prevent your layout to be exactly what you want including, but not limited to: Framing, duct work, plumbing/drain lines, etc.

Old 08-19-17, 10:12 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Personally, I'd like to have a light directly over the sink. I like to see what I'm washing. The way you've got it you're going to be working in your own shadow. If you want to keep your layout, consider adding a light over the sink with a switch above the sink. Just don't put it right next to the disposal switch or you'll be forever hitting the wrong one.

I'd suggest putting one over the stove too, but I assume (hope) the microwave takes care of that.

Old 08-19-17, 11:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,881 Upvotes on 3,478 Posts
Use your shown layout for general lighting. I agree with adding an additional light, even if smaller, over the sink. The lights don't have to form a perfect grid.

Recessed lighting looks so easy to install. It is not. It is a DIY job but like Tolyn mentioned..... many things can be lurking behind the sheetrock. When I'm called for a lighting job like that... I'll go in and locate the joists first. Those measurements are directly applied to your layout plan. Those joists are there and cannot be moved,

A plan is drawn and then the measurements are transposed back to the ceiling. You poke a small hole in the center of each can location to check for obstructions. One of those cameras on a flexible line make this much easier.

Plan on moving the entire layout. Plan on doing patching.
You will also need to drill the joists to get the cable between lights with joists in between.

An attic above makes things a breeze but is not usually the case.

If you have forced air heating..... locate all the registers on the first and second floor to visualize how the ducting may have been run.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: