4 Way electrical switch replacement troubleshooting advice

Old 08-20-17, 09:59 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
4 Way electrical switch replacement troubleshooting advice

I recently replaced three of the 4 / 4 way switches controlling the stairwell light in my home after replacement of the three switches the light can be controlled by one switch at a time. I wired all the new switches exactly like the old ones. The new switches are the "slap" type of switch and the one old one is a normal toggle switch. The problem is consistent and the wires leading into and out of the switches are red/ black and the house was built in mid 90's. Any thoughts as to try to solve the problem would be appreciated before calling someone out to check my work. again the light will turn on and off both up and down but if it turns on downstairs you can turn it off by any switch but then must be turned back on by that switch.

Old 08-20-17, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 366 Votes on 316 Posts
While you placed the wires in the same place on the switches, the switches themselves may be different. Some 4 ways you install a set of travelers on one side of the switch, others you install them to the top or the bottom screws. Remove the new switches and use a meter or continuity tester to see which way they are.

Old 08-20-17, 10:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 114 Votes on 99 Posts
Check the wiring diagram that the switches use. Be sure the wires are paired correctly .

Old 08-20-17, 10:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,608 Votes on 1,480 Posts
The correct wiring diagram is also shown on the package the switch comes in.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: