DIY pipe lamp - Concern about safety

Old 08-22-17, 09:37 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DIY pipe lamp - Concern about safety

Hello, I am a new member.

Some days ago I built a beautiful DIY lamp with pipes (similar to this: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...583aa05087.jpg) and gave it as a present to a friend.

I built it like the photo, with some pipes, a base from cement, and a cable with two wires that runs all the pipes and ends in a socket for the Edison lamp. However I have some concerns about the safety. I'm afraid the possibility of the wire to be scratched from the inside of the pipe corners, or someway and the person that will touch the metal pipes will be electrocuted. Are my fears valid or no? Do I have to make something else or add something? What's your opinion?

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 08-22-17 at 07:07 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 08-22-17, 10:09 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 973 Votes on 894 Posts
Did you ground the metal pipe? If not then if the insulation on a wire inside gets cut and the conductor touches the metal pipe then the pipe will be energized. If the pipe is grounded then that same nicked wire will create a short to ground which is safer and may trip the circuit breaker cutting off the power.

Old 08-22-17, 11:14 AM
R
How can I ground the metal pipe? If I ground the pipe will it be safe? Also, how possible is for the wire to get cut?

Old 08-22-17, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 371 Votes on 321 Posts
First off the NEC says all light fixtures are required to be UL listed. DIY light fixtures are not so that is an issue. Second, plumbing pipes are not listed for purpose of installing wires, as you already mentioned, they have sharp edges that can damage wiring.

FYI - To ground the metal pipe you need to connect a bare or green wire directly to it with some mechanical means. (IE: screw, rivet, etc)

Old 08-23-17, 12:43 AM
R
Do you mean that I have to use 3wire cable instead of 2wire, and connect the third wire to the pipe? Is there any other way?

Old 08-23-17, 12:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,616 Votes on 1,488 Posts
There is no way to ground the fixture unless a three wire cable with a three pin plug is used.

Old 08-23-17, 05:04 AM
R
Ok, thanks a lot. So, can I use this kind of socket (link for photo) instead of my 2-wire?

http://imgur.com/a/8QmCG

My only concern is how and where to connect the third wire to the pipe..

Last edited by redoomed; 08-23-17 at 05:36 AM.
Old 08-23-17, 05:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 973 Votes on 894 Posts
All the metal in your fixture must be electrically connected together so if there is a short anywhere it can go to ground. Your ground can be connected to the metal anywhere. Most commercial fixtures make the connection inside where it is not visible. You might try making the connection underneath the flange/base where you can not see it.

Old 08-23-17, 05:53 AM
R
However something like this will make me cut the black wire and release the 3 inside wires, so the two will go till the end and the other will be connected to the base. Is it safe the two wires to be inside the pipes without the black protection around them and only with their thinner colored protection?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: