Wiring in a range hood

Old 08-30-17, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring in a range hood

Ok, here's my story. Bought a new home, needs a range hood. I go pick one up and do a bunch of research. Seems a bit complicated but I figure I can pull this off.

Mounting it was no problem...but the wiring! Herein lies the problem. There is a light switch on the wall behind the range (so would be between the range and the range hood). I thought maybe I could tap into that switch for the range hood. I opened the switch (it's a Decora), but there is no ground wire. Not even a place *for* a ground wire. No green screw, no third screw on the switch itself. I opened up the light fixture itself and it *does* have a ground wire....But it does not seem to run to the switch.

So...I'm thinking I cannot use this switch to draw power from? Or is there some modification that I can make?

Alternately...would I be able to take the wiring coming out of the range hood, attach a three prong male end, and plug it into the outlet on the top of the range itself?

The hood is a NuTone 30". It has a lightbulb fixture in it. My personal skill level isn't high but I'm brave and persistent.

Any suggestions or recommendations? It will impress my wife greatly if I can pull this off myself and not have to call in an electrician. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-17, 09:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I'm thinking I cannot use this switch to draw power from?
If there is only a black and white wire connected to the switch you couldn't anyway because there would be no neutral. Is that what you have, just a black and white wire on the switch? No other wires?

would I be able to take the wiring coming out of the range hood, attach a three prong male end, and plug it into the outlet on the top of the range itself?
No, that is not coded compliant. The hood is not designed to be plugged in.

Is there an unfinished attic above? If so tell us about all the wiring at the kitchen light.

Old 08-30-17, 09:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Hopefully you are venting that hood outside.
Would you really want a wire hanging down from the hood and plugging into the range?

Other than no ground in the switchbox... what is there for wiring ?
One cable(two wires).... two cables(four wires) ?

Old 08-30-17, 10:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
A hood that connects with a cord requires a dedicated circuit.

Old 08-30-17, 12:26 PM
A few extra details. Thanks for the replies so far!

There are only two wires coming to the switch box. Black and white. Again the switch doesn't even seem to have a place where you *could* connect a ground.

The range hood is ventless/charcoal filter type.

The attic above is finished.

Old 08-30-17, 02:44 PM
Group Moderator
There are only two wires coming to the switch box.
Therefore it is a switch loop and no power is available there because there is no neutral.

Is there an unfinished basement below the kitchen?

Old 08-30-17, 03:47 PM
The kitchen is above a mud room which runs off the garage. There are a lot of wires that run through that room (coming from the main breaker box and going off on their various directions.)

Old 08-30-17, 06:10 PM
Group Moderator
The kitchen is above a mud room which runs off the garage. There are a lot of wires that run through that room
Then it should be possible to run a new cable from the breaker panel to inside the wall and up to the hood. Is there a cabinet above the hood?

Terminology note: Wires are single conductors. What you have running across the mudroom is cables, two or more wires in a metallic or non metallic sheath.