Wiring new fixture to existing switch/outlet

Old 09-03-17, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring new fixture to existing switch/outlet

Currently working on installing ceiling fans in my upstairs bedrooms. No existing light fixtures are present. Each room has 1 switch that controls one receptacle top and bottom.

installed my first box mount in the ceiling and took apart the switch in the room and the outlet that said switch controls, and got confused at the switch when I took it apart.

I have a basic basic understanding of some electrical but what I see I haven't seen before, so here goes.

at the switch I have 14-2 being ran to it. White on top, black on bottom. Was expecting to see black and black being split like in all the switches down stairs.

at the outlet being controlled I have 2 whites 1 black.

2 things here, 1. I'd like to change the receptacle to be on all the time. And 2 would like just the switch to control the fan only

i know I'm going to have to run romex through the attic, won't be an issue..I can only assume at this point to make the outlets see constant to connect the two wires 1 white 1 black at the switch..now I have constant outlet.. but unsure where the switch wiring goes from that and where I have to run conduit from the fan. Do I run it directly to the switch box? If so is that all and use the switch to break the hot going to the new ceiling fan?

fan is one of those ones with the remote and such if that means anything.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-17, 11:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 344 Votes on 322 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You have what is called a switch loop. The always live power is at the receptacle and a two wire switch loop controls it.

IF you only have two cables at the receptacle...... connect the white wire to white wire with a tail to the receptacle and black wire to black wire with a tail to the receptacle. This will give you live power at the switch. At the switch the white will now be the neutral.

The diagram shows what you have now. Substitute the receptacle for the lamp.

Attached Images  
Old 09-03-17, 05:23 PM
Ok so looking at my receptical again, I now notice 3, not 2 runs of romex coming in. 1 black 2 whites plugged into the receptacle, and in the back the other 2 blacks and the 3rd white are butted together

so I'm assuming, but want to verify first I can wire everything at the outlet parallel inside of the box, run black white to my outlet then now I have constant power at the outlet.

then I will also have constant power at my switch, correct? Therefor now I can run my fan wires down to my switch and wire it in the switch box and have it break the connection then, correct?

Attached Images  
Old 09-03-17, 05:45 PM
Group Moderator
Yes.... you are correct. You will have three paralleled cables.

I would mark the switch cable.... where the white wire goes to the black splice and the black wire goes to the receptacle.... for future reference.

Old 09-03-17, 08:26 PM
Perfect thanks.

all set and done.

thanks for the help, just hadn't seen a switch wired like that yet in this house..first time home owner and the other switches just had the 2 blacks being split so didn't understand the reason for the white and black at switch but now my recepticle is constant and the switch controls just the fan.

Old 09-03-17, 09:18 PM
Group Moderator
You're welcome. good job.