Wiring outdoor outlet to switch to outlet! Need some help!

Old 09-03-17, 09:47 PM
Wiring outdoor outlet to switch to outlet! Need some help!

Hello! First time homebuyer. Looking to put up some string lights and need to extend the weather proof outlet I currently have outside. My plan is to have switch that controls the extended switch. It doesn't matter that the switch controls the entire outlet as there will only be one thing plugged in. Here is my current setup that didn't seem to work. It's either wired incorrectly or I just have a bad connection. Here is my schematic of what I currently have. Thanks for any suggestions and your time.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-17, 10:21 PM
Group Moderator
Your drawing looks correct. To your question are you sure the power is to the line side of the GFCI receptacle?

However if both receptacles are outside the first receptacle should be a GFCI receptacle and the second a non GFCI receptacle fed from the load side of the first. Exception would be if the power for the two receptacles is from a GFCI. In that case neither should be a GFCI.

Old 09-03-17, 10:52 PM
Awesome thanks. I'll have to check on that in the morning. I'm honestly not sure where the wires are coming from. I'm assuming the breaker? I only have one outlet for the back yard and it's attached the home wall. Is there any harm in keeping the extended outlet as a GFCI? It came in the weather proof outlet box kit. I can definitely switch the two outlets if it's an issue.

Old 09-04-17, 05:36 AM
Group Moderator
All receptacles outside must be GFCI protected but there should only be one source of protection both because, though rarely, two GFCIs sometimes interfere with each other and it makes troubleshooting should you lose power more difficult.

The outside receptacle you have may be on a kitchen or bathroom GFCI receptacle. You need to find out if it is. Easiest way to test would be to start with the bath GFCI receptacle closest to the outside receptacle and see if you lose power at the outside receptacle when you press the test button on the bath GFCI receptacle. If not others need to be tested.

If it is determined the existing receptacle is GFCI protected than no further action is really needed but if it isn't it needs to be GFCI protected.