New light above sink

Old 09-03-17, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New light above sink

So I have little experience with electricity and I installed a new light above my sink. I have replace lighting fixtures before and this is the first time I have every had 1 trip the breaker. When I removed the old fixture I noticed that 4 separate cables were connected to this light. When I first connected the new fixture I just connected 1 cable when I flipped the breaker I realized that all my lights were connected through this single fixture. So I disconnected it all and then connected all 4 cables through my new light fixture just like it was with the old 1. All 5 white ( 4 cables and 1 fixture) all 5 black and all 5 ground together. When I turned the breaker back on it would automatically trip. Can somebody please help me with my issue?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-17, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Picture

Here is a picture of the wiring.

Attached Images  
Old 09-04-17, 05:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Sounds like a miswired switch loop. At the switch do you have a black and a white wire on the switch?

Old 09-04-17, 09:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 345 Votes on 323 Posts
I've seen it all now. Is that 4 cables jammed into/under a track light surface enclosure ??

The wiring is supposed to be inside a junction box and the track goes over the junction box and then the cover goes on. If that's a hung ceiling then the wiring needs to be put into a junction box.

You have four cables there.....
1) feed/power in
1) power out
1) power out
1) switch loop

The first three get connected white to white and black to black. Unless you know which wire is the switch line... you are going to need a meter to make tests. There's no way to guess at it.