Recessed Lighting Spacing

Old 09-04-17, 08:05 PM
Recessed Lighting Spacing

I'm wanting to add in 6 recessed lights to my living room. It's a 20x16 room with 9ft to 12ft ceilings. My problem I'm running into is with spacing. 1/3 of the room has a ceiling slope from 12ft to 9ft. Everything I've read seems to indicate I need to start both rows of 3 lights 4 ft from each wall so that I have 8ft of spacing in between the two. Would that be correct?

I also thought about starting both rows about 6ft away from the walls which would create a 4 foot separation in the center. If I did this, both rows would be on the non-sloped part of the ceiling which would make it immensely easier for me to access in the attic. The LED lights I plan on using have 120 degree spreads so I assume there will be overlap in the center regardless of where the rows start.

I've attached a picture for reference.

[img]https://image.*******/doxZOa/IMG_1781.jpg[/img]

Any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-17, 04:38 AM
Upvotes Received: 9
Shop for"eyeball" fixtures namely fixtures where the lamp socket can be tilted. Now you can use your second idea of 6' from the walls and 4' between rows, and aim the fixtures to improve the coverage.

Even with your first idea, you would need to tweak it or use eyeball fixtures to compensate for the tilt of the fixtures on the sloped part of the ceilihg. So you might as well use eyeball fixtures for all of the lights and use your second idea.

(Your first idea of having the distance between two lights being twice the distance of the first light to the wall and the last light to the wall is the standard starting point.)

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-05-17 at 05:13 AM.