put in wrong size bulb in chandlier and now it doesn't work

Old 09-04-17, 08:48 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
put in wrong size bulb in chandlier and now it doesn't work

My spouse accidentally put the wrong size light bulb in our chandelier's socket. When I turned the light on after the light bulb was replaced, the chandlier sparked and now none of the lights are working. What do I need to do to get this chandlier working again? Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 09-04-17, 09:04 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Wrong size like in wrong wattage but correct bulb socket size?

Old 09-04-17, 09:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Probably put a mini candelabra based bulb in a candelabra base. It sort of goes in and shorts the center pin to the shell.

Is anything else out in the house ? It may have tripped a circuit breaker which does not show as tripped. Sometimes you have to push it all the way towards off and then turn it back on.

Old 09-05-17, 06:17 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The bulb that was put into the chandlier was the correct wattage but the bulb socket size was smaller. The chandlier uses a standard A bulb but a bulb with a smaller base was put into the socket instead. I've already reset the circuit breaker but the chandelier still does not work. The outlets on this same circuit are working. Would replacing the socket fix the problem? (None of the lights are currently working now so I wasn't sure if this was the correct repair.)

Old 09-05-17, 06:45 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Would replacing the socket fix the problem?
I doubt it. Open the switch and tell us about all the wiring there. I suspect though the problem is in the light ceiling box but the switch wiring is a bit easier to check first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: