12V LED IR Illuminator - Direct Connect to Battery?

Old 09-05-17, 11:36 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
12V LED IR Illuminator - Direct Connect to Battery?

I'm wondering about an IR illuminator I recently bought and returned thinking it was dead on arrival. It's 12V, 2 amps. It did not come with a power supply, but I didn't need one (or so I thought) because I planned to connect it directly to a 12V battery (55 amp-hour deep cycle). The battery is maintained by a solar panel and charge controller. The IR illuminator would not work.

I ordered another IR illuminator. This one came with a 12V AC-DC power supply. 120V AC in, 12V DC out @ 2 amps. It works when plugged in. But, like the other one, when I hook it up directly to the 12V battery it doesn't work. Thinking the charge controller was providing too much voltage (13.5 volts), I hooked it up to my truck battery which was putting out 12.1 volts. Nothing. When I plug it back into the AC-DC adapter it works fine. It's putting out 12.2 volts.

What am I missing here? Is there some reason that it won't work with battery-supplied 12V but will work with the adapter? I can add an inverter to the mix but that seems silly (convert DC to AC to DC).

Old 09-05-17, 12:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,475 Votes on 1,363 Posts
Can we assume the polarity is clearly marked on the illuminator ?

Old 09-05-17, 01:08 PM
T
Yes - black and red. I swapped them anyway just for fun. Didn't help.

Old 09-05-17, 01:10 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah..... for fun or a little smoke,

Can you leave a link or model number for the illuminator ?
Can't see why a battery doesn't work.

There is a tiny bit of AC component in the power supply stream but I don't think the illuminator needs it.

Old 09-05-17, 01:38 PM
T
It's this one: https://www.amazon.com/Univivi-Illum...ir+illuminator

I checked it with the AC adapter after I reversed the polarity - still worked. I installed it anyway - hoping for some sort of miracle once it gets dark. It has a photocell on it, but I covered it with tape when I was testing it. Like I said worst case is I'll put an inverter in there, but I really don't see why I would need to.

Old 09-05-17, 01:41 PM
Group Moderator
It may be delayed from the photocell.

Old 09-05-17, 04:57 PM
T
Could be. For whatever reason it works now. Even though IR is invisible, the LEDs give off a pretty visible red light that I could see when plugged in but not off the battery. Whatever - it's working well now. Thanks for the replies!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: