Replacing ceiling fan with plastic keyless fixture

Old 09-11-17, 10:31 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing ceiling fan with plastic keyless fixture

my wife asked me to replace a ratty old ceiling fan with a bulb holder in the ceiling like the rest of my garage. I took down the ceiling fan and disconnected the two wires. The white and the red. I hooked up the keyless plastic bulb holder in the only way I could see, white, the neutral, to silver and the red to the brass and when I turned on the power, the two next to the new one work fine. The one I put there didn't work. I obviously did something wrong. I've seen this described as the easiest and most simple installation ever, yet I screwed it up. Any help GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Images   
Old 09-11-17, 10:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,982 Upvotes on 3,574 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The red wire(s) usually signify a switched line so I'm guessing the fan was switched with the garage lights. That leaves us with a bad socket or bulb.

Have you swapped bulbs around ?
Check the socket and make sure the center pin isn't bent in.

Old 09-11-17, 11:37 AM
J
Thanks Peter.

Yes the fan fan and the lights on the ceiling fan could be turned on with the garage light on/off switch. I could also turn the fan and/or the lights off with pull cords while the garage lights remained on.

yes, checked the bulb and it works fine. The plate was brand new, but I did check it and it appears in perfect order.

Should i take the black wires and run a wire to attach black to the bulb holder and just cap off the red wire?
There was only two wires available, white and red. So I thought it would be simple. However in the box I have white, red and black available.

Thanks! Joe

Old 09-11-17, 11:44 AM
Group Moderator
You could try using the black instead of the red. The black may be always live. Only one way to find out.

Old 09-11-17, 11:49 AM
J
Thanks Peter!

When you say "always live" meaning the light will stay on constantly? (If the black wire is always live)

i can't understand how the ceiling fan could be hooked up with only the same two wires and it went on and off with all the other lights, then I replace it using the same two wires with a two wire connection and the new new bulb holder doesn't work. It defies logic!

Thanks for for your continued help

Joe

Old 09-11-17, 01:04 PM
Group Moderator
Defies logic... well put.

If you have a voltmeter you could test the wiring or right at the socket.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: