Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Lighting, Light Fixtures, Ceiling and Exhaust Fans
Reload this Page >

Is this ceiling fixture box suitable for a ceiling fan? Or how do I replace it?

Old 09-22-17, 06:06 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts

I have replaced several light fixtures with ceiling fans in my house using an "old work/renovation" brace similar to this:
15.5 cu. in. Retrofit Ceiling Fan Saf-T-Brace-0110000 - The Home Depot

Then I went to replace a third, and the box I found when I took out the light fixture was different than the others. When I took all the screws out, the box remained secured in place. When I push/pull on it, it seems like it is attached to a joist from the side. At this point I am not really sure what to do. Since this box is secured to a joist, can I just use it to support the ceiling fan? If not, how do I get it out? I don't see any more visible screw heads.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NBUq2Z2mK45DWMG13

If I need to somehow get it out and replace it, I am assuming that renovation brace I linked above would not work, there would not be any drywall for the legs to rest on while tightening it. Do I need a different kind of box?

Thanks!
Rich

Attached Images  

Last edited by ray2047; 09-22-17 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Add image.
Old 09-22-17, 09:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
That is not a fan rated box. It's called a new work nail-on 4" round box. Seen in picture below. To remove it just push in on the loose side until it breaks free. The nails may bend but it will come loose. You could use that Safe-T-Brace but you'd have to move the hole slightly away from the joist.

Here are two choices you can use..... the top one is a direct replacement.
Madison Electric Products Smart Box - The Home Depot

Westinghouse-0252511-Fan-Master-Junior-Support-Box/11846463/product.html

Attached Images  
Old 09-23-17, 05:50 AM
Received 159 Upvotes on 145 Posts
If you can't loosen it by pushing it up,try an oscillating cutting tool and cut the box out,I love these tools,then maybe this box would be a good choice.
Madison Electric Products Smart Box Adjustable Depth 75 lbs. Light Fixture Support/50 lbs. Ceiling Fan Support-MSBFAN - The Home Depot
Have fun.
Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: