Replacing can light socket in shower

Old 09-23-17, 06:16 PM
Replacing can light socket in shower

The light socket has apparently gone south in the can light in the shower. Normally this world be a nobrainer in a non wet location. Cut the old one off and splice the wires of the new on on. However the wet aspect has me concerned. There doesn't appear to be anything special about this one. But ...
so does this light fixture itself provide the waterproofing entirely? Can I replace the socket as I would in s dry location or is there something special that has to be done? If so, what?
Thanks. Most homer homeowner job don't bother me but electricity and wet get me thinking.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-17, 06:33 PM
Group Moderator
The fixture in a shower is usually just a basic recessed fixture. What makes it watertight is the cover trim which is fully closed with a translucent plastic or glass lens and a foam gasket on the back of it.

You can use a regular socket that any recessed light would use.

If you wanted more in depth help..... pull the cover down and post a picture of the socket and mounting plate. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 09-23-17, 07:00 PM
Group Moderator
Recessed cans being recessed makes them considered to be out of the area of a shower. If the socket is bad I would suggest replacing the lamp/socket/trim with an LED trim rated for a wet location.

Old 09-23-17, 07:22 PM
This is in my sons house. The led light and trim is fine, I checked it in another socket. I'm assuming the socket in the can is bad. I wanted to be sure that I didn't have to replace the whole can assembly or do something else special since it was in the shower.

Attached Images  
Old 09-23-17, 07:29 PM
Group Moderator
I don't think your socket is the problem, That socket looks to be in pretty good shape. If it were bad it would usually be a fault of the center contact.

It looks like there is a heat safety switch in one of the socket wires. That may have opened due to high heat. Do you have a meter where you can carefully check for voltage at the socket ?

Old 09-23-17, 07:36 PM
I'll have to get the meter from home and check it another time. Didn't think about doing that tonight. I don't seee anything that looks like a switch or anything else "strange" on the wires from the socket.

Old 09-23-17, 07:47 PM
Group Moderator
It looks like the white wire leaves the socket, goes behind the plate and then becomes black. Sometimes it's just the way the light reflects.

Now that I look again..... do the white and black wires enter the can with the white going to the socket and the black going back into that grommet in the can ?

If yes..... those two black wires are going to a thermal switch on the top of the can.

Attached Images  
Old 09-23-17, 08:16 PM
That seems to be the case. Is the switch on the side where the wires go in? Or on the top.? I could get the can almost all the way out but screws or something else was holding it up. If the switch is on the top it will be a puzzle to get the can out. I assume the switch is replaceable.

Attached Images  
Old 09-23-17, 09:14 PM
Group Moderator
The can is designed to be removed from the bottom. There is a metal clad cable that connects the can to the junction box. That may be caught.

The white and black wires come from the junction box. The two black wires go to the thermal switch on the top. Usually the thermal switch is inside the can.

Old 09-24-17, 04:36 AM
Thanks for the pointers Pete. I'll have to go back later this week and muck around with it some more.