Fan sparking

Old 10-07-17, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fan sparking

Our fan was sparking at the wire connections . I turned off power because I thought it could have been wired improperly. I reattached wiring black to black along with blue from fan. I attached green to green along with ground wire. I attached white to white. Turned power back on and nothing. It's as if I'm not getting power. I don't think fan is fried because it worked still although it was sparking. Does the wiring seem like I did it correctly?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-17, 04:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 346 Votes on 324 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The wiring sounds correct. Now you need to find out what was sparking. The wires should be blackened at the spark location.

Old 10-07-17, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The bracket that attaches to the fan itself was sparking sporadically all around it. It was covered but when I uncovered it it was sparking all around. It has a white powder all around it so it looked like it had been doing it for some time.

Old 10-07-17, 05:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 346 Votes on 324 Posts
That sounds like the motor had a short in it to the case of the fan and it was arcing to ground thru the bracket. You'd need to check for 120vac to the wiring in the box to verify power is still there. If it is.... the fan may need replacement.