Intermittent problem with outdoor light/PIR

Old 10-20-17, 04:21 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool Intermittent problem with outdoor light/PIR

Hi, newbie to the forum here...I am trying to repair an external light with PIR, up until now the PIR has not been working but the light would work intermittently when switched on, I have tested the bulb in another lamp indoors and firstly was also intermittent then stopped working altogether, I replaced the bulb out side with one I know is working...nothing... I tried a different one in case there was an issue with the voltage...again nothing, I cannot see any loose wiring having partly dismantled the light but am baffled as to where I go next....
Many Thanks ...

Old 10-20-17, 04:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
If you can bypass the PIR sensor and the lights work, you have a bad PIR sensor. If it is not integral to the light fixture (separate head) they are fairly easy to replace and only cost about $15

Old 10-20-17, 05:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I would just replace the unit. New ones are inexpensive and you can even get a LED one for about $30.

Old 10-20-17, 05:33 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I am a bit fussy on my decor so know a replacement would be a bit more than this but have considered this, is there anything I can check before doing so that would ensure the problem is on the light not on the switch/wiring etc ?

Old 10-20-17, 06:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Bypass the sensor, use a meter to check if you have 120 volts at the light, or temporally install a simple lamp holder to test to see if everything functions correctly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: