Ceiling fan wiring help

Old 10-22-17, 06:27 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan wiring help

im replacing a ceiling fan that has a remote. The ceiling box has 12/3 and there is a wall switch that controlled the old fans light on and off. You had to pull the motor chain to turn the fan motor on. So Iím trying to do the same thing with the new fan. If I walk into the room I want to flip the switch and have the light turn on and than control everything else with the remote. When wiring the new fan and the receiver for the remote I canít figure out how to wire. I tried multiple ways with no luck. I canít figure out what to do with the red wire coming out of the ceiling and Iím connecting the black to black and white to white from the ceiling to the receiver. Please help!!!! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-17, 06:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 255 Votes on 240 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If you have an integral receiver......white and black wire ONLY.... you cannot separate the light from the fan. You can only provide 120v to the receiver and then it controls the fan and light.

If you want to control the light with a switch..... you need the fan with the universal remote where you can not connect the light to the receiver but directly to a switched power lead. A universal remote system would come with a receiver that had five wires on it. White, black in and white, black and blue out.

Name:  fan-remote-control.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  25.2 KB

Old 10-22-17, 07:51 PM
That is the exact receiver I have. It has the black and white on one side and black, white and blue on the other

Old 10-22-17, 08:02 PM
Group Moderator
Ok...... good. Take the blue splice apart. Cap off the blue wire to the remote. Connect the blue wire that goes into the fan to the red wire. The switch will now control the light and the remote will not.

Old 10-22-17, 08:20 PM
Ok but I want to use the remote to dim the light also. I just want the wall switch to be the main switch to turn the whole fan off and on than when the wall switch is flipped on the light will come on and I can control the light dimming and fan motor with the remote.

Old 10-22-17, 08:47 PM
Group Moderator
One or the other...... not both. With some remotes.....not many.... when you turn the power on to the remote the light comes on. Hunter fans were set up like that. I don't know if they still are.

Old 10-23-17, 09:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 12 Posts
The wall switch is going to override the remote. The remote will not work if the switch is off.