3 Master switches controlling 3 switched zones

Old 10-25-17, 08:10 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
3 Master switches controlling 3 switched zones

I'm currently outfitting a basement with three zones of flush mount LED lights all on the same 15amp feed. I would like to have a single switch at the top of the stairs, one at the exit to the garage, and one at the exit to the backyard that would all turn on/off all three zones. I also wanted to have three separate dimmer switches at the bottom of the stairs that would be able to dim or turn each zone on/off independent of the other “master” switches. That way if you walked into the basement with the three “master” switches still off you could turn on a single zone with the dimmer switch. Is this even possible?

If I wired it with 3 and 4 way switches:
Feed-----> 3w---->4w--->3w----> pig tail to 3 single dimmer switches----->to each zone of lights

Or is this going to cause the dimmer switches to only be powered when one of the “master” switches is on? Thanks,

Last edited by Haulndak; 10-25-17 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-25-17, 02:16 PM
T
Received 204 Upvotes on 178 Posts
I suspect it may be possible if some of the wireless controls can accept multiple pairings. An electrician should be along before too long and can give you a definite answer.

Don't buy your fixtures and dimmers just yet; if the wireless controls can do what you want, they should have a list of brands and models that will work. Just because you because you like the (insert brand and model #) doesn't mean it will work with a particular control.

Old 10-25-17, 02:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,976 Upvotes on 3,569 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If you have multiple master switches for all the lights..... then one of them would need to be turned on for the dimmer to work in that area.

Sounds like an awfully confusing setup.

Old 10-25-17, 03:30 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You are right, it is a confusing setup. The end goal is to be able to turn on or off all of the lights when entering the basement from any of the three entrances but to also be able to dim or turn on/off the lights by zone depending on your lighting needs. I was hoping to avoid putting a switch for all three zones at each door but maybe that is the simplest solution. Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: