Ceiling Fan Lights Quit Working

Old 11-25-17, 05:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan Lights Quit Working

I have a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan with 4 candelabra lights (40 watts max). I purchased perhaps 4 years ago. I totally spaced the max wattage and started installing new 60 watt bulbs. I had the lights on while screwing in the new bulbs. When the 4th new bulb seated, all the lights went out. Nothing works now. Is there something I need to replace since went beyond the max wattage?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-17, 06:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
There is an energy saver function built into some ceiling fans. You may have overloaded that and caused a malfunction. I don't know if it is a serviceable part or not, others will chime in. I checked a random manual and they call it a wattage limiting device in the troubleshooting section. So, back down to 40 watt bulbs and see if that helps.

Old 11-25-17, 06:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
You don't have a dimmer on there, do you?

Old 11-25-17, 10:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 257 Votes on 242 Posts
The fan probably has it's own remote control for fan and light.
If yes..... that remote control module may have been damaged.

Old 11-25-17, 03:14 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Just getting back to checking responses. It had a remote to dim the lights, but that stopped working a couple of years ago after a storm. I didn't bother reinstalling the component for the remote control. I've been using the pull chain ever since. The fan still works. I can buy a new light kit. I'm just surprised it would totally render it unusable again (assuming that's the case).

Old 11-25-17, 03:36 PM
Received 21 Votes on 18 Posts
If the fixture manufacturer stated a maximum wattage for the lights, there is a good reason. My guess is it is the wire size used in wiring the lamp sockets. Take the fixture down and look for a burnt thru (open) wire.

Old 11-25-17, 04:00 PM
Group Moderator
If there was no electronic control in the line then you should be able to find the problem. It's direct wiring.... possibly thru a watt reducer to the sockets.

You should be able to check the light wiring without having to drop the fan.

Old 11-25-17, 05:39 PM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
There may be a small fuse inside the fan unit that blew to protect the rest of the unit and circuitry.

Fuses come in different shapes and sizes. This one is most likely to be a glass cylinder wtth metal ends, about a quarter of an inch in diameter and about an inch long. t may b

Old 11-26-17, 03:05 PM
Received 21 Votes on 18 Posts
If the manufacturer states replacement bulbs shall be 120 vac incandescents , there is no watt reducer.

Old 11-26-17, 06:33 PM
I can post a picture, but I fried something in the power limiter. I opened a small box connected to the light kit with a model number PL-190B (model number of the small box). I looked it up and it is a power limiter. There are no disconnect type (for a lack of a better description) of connections allowing me to replace the power limiter. Can't I just do away with the power limiter? The light has 1 white wire connection and 1 black wire connection. The power limiter has a red wire, white wire and blue wire. The blue wire coming out of the power limiter connected to the black wire for the light. The white wire connects to a bunch of other white wires above the power limiter. Can't I connect white to white, the black light wire to the red wire and wire nut the other white wire that connects to the power limiter? Probably easier with a picture, but it would seem to be straight forward enough. Of course, I'll be sure not to exceed the recommended 40 watts going forward (as I won't have a power limiter).

Old 11-26-17, 06:58 PM
Group Moderator
Yes.... you can bypass the wattage reducer like you've stated.

Old 11-26-17, 07:06 PM
My light is back on! Thanks for the quick response, PJ. Thank everyone else for suggestions.