LED Tape/Strip lights to separated cabinets

Old 12-04-17, 01:48 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
LED Tape/Strip lights to separated cabinets

Howdy,

Our kitchen has 3 sets of cabinets that are not connected. We are investigating putting the LED Tape lights underneath them and want them to all be controlled by one switch. We already have a switch that goes up into the ceiling where a pendant light used to be so we can use that.

I'm not sure of the best way to get the lights to the three separate areas.

Do I put one transformer/adapter (whatever it's called) in the ceiling and then split it into 3 LED tape lines? Do I split the main electrical into 3 and then use 3 transformers (one for each tape)? Does it matter?

To get from the attic down to the cabinets I can just go down through the back corner of one cabinet from each set easily enough. Just not sure about the best way to do the splitting.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 12-04-17, 04:23 PM
Received 535 Votes on 495 Posts
I have similar. 2 sets of cabinets, but our strip lighting is on top.

Transformer is dependent on how many lights per bank. Each bank of lights would get it's own transformer.

Old 12-05-17, 05:00 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 966 Votes on 887 Posts
In the attic install a electrical box somewhere the existing wiring for the old light will reach. It must be above the insulation and accessible. You can screw a scrap of wood to the joist to make a post to hold the box above the insulation if needed. Inside that box tie in your three runs for the cabinet lights and install a blank cover plate.

Then, best would be to cut outlet box size holes in the back of your cabinets and into the wall cavity. Fish the new wires through the wall and down to the new cut outs. Install an old work electrical box in the opening and wire up an outlet and put on the cover plate. Now you have a switched outlet inside the cabinet. Plug the wall wort transformer for you light into the outlet. Drill a small hole through the bottom of the cabinet so you can run the low voltage wire through to your under cabinet lights.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: