Help fan light switch replacement

Old 12-07-17, 08:42 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help fan light switch replacement

So I知 completely new to this house and I知 changing out some light and fan switches, with this particular curling fan the box had a Lutron tg2-lfsq only 2 wraps coming in 3 wires in each 2 black 2 white 2 grounds the switch was wire capped whites to the black on the old switch and the 2 blacks went to the load side and the grounds wire capped to the ground, am I crazy or is this wrong? I want to put in a ge z-wave but I知 so lost. First is am I going to need another switch to run the light and if so how do I figure out which wrap is the light and the fan?

Old 12-07-17, 10:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm not sure what language you are using here.

What is a wrap ?
Do you mean a cable ?
A two wire cable is a white and black with ground. The ground is not used in wires count. So you have 2) two wire cables with ground

I show that as a toggle switch with a slider on each side. One for fan and one for light.

Does that dimmer/switch have a yellow, red, black and green wire ?
Where the two white wires connected to black of the switch.
Was one black connected to yellow of the switch.
Was the other black connected to red of the switch.

If the wiring is as I've written.... you would need to do rewiring work at the fan junction box if you wanted to use a Z wave switch.

Big question.... if you put a Z wave switch in a single gang box..... what will you control.... the fan or the light ??

Old 12-08-17, 10:55 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes wiring was on the way you said and I壇 like to control the fan with the switch the two whites went into the black on the switch so live I assume.
the box it痴 in has 2 other switches controlling light for the front porch and garage, possible to combine the 3 fixtures into 1 switch and use the other switch for the light?

Old 12-08-17, 11:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
The wiring between the switch and the fan would need to be changed. You don't need two hots coming down.... you need a hot and a neutral.

I'd need to see all the wiring in the box to comment on combining the other two switches. A picture or two would help..... How-to-insert-pictures

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: