Need quick class on LED strip lights

Old 12-20-17, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need quick class on LED strip lights

Hi all,

I've added LED light strips above my crown moulding (I've offset the molding down an inch) to provide a nice ambient light.

It's not really bright enough, and the low quality ones I bought have seemed to have faded over time. I got a stronger power supply (10 amps), but no change. I'm switching to a higher quality brand and one that can be controlled by Amazon's Alexa (voice controlled). So I just want daylight white, and a lot of lights. The ones I ordered only have one LED for every 3 LEDs the previous lights had. Is there some way to determine how many lights there are on the strip?

Also, FYI, I had previously-previously used weatherproof strips, but the "clear" epoxy that sealed it turned yellow where the LEDs were brightest (near the power source). So I did learn NOT to buy waterproof strips.

Any advice is welcome! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-17, 02:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 267 Votes on 242 Posts
You can determine the number of lights on your strip by counting them...

You can also count how many emitters there are in a foot. Then measure the length of your light strip and multiply by the number per foot.

The number of LED emitters doesn't really tell you how light the strip will be. You need to look at the specs for the light strips you are considering. One reason I buy from Super Bright LEDs is they provide good documentation about their lights. How many emitters per foot, how bright they are in lumens or lux, what color temperature, power consumption... That information is often not available from other suppliers like Amazon, Ebay or most big box home centers. And, don't compare something you see on Super Bright's website with something from Amazon just because the picture of the strips look similar. It's all about the details of exactly how the light strip is constructed and what components they use. The specs are really the only thing you can go by.

Old 12-23-17, 08:45 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Changing the power supply did nothing because power is drawn by the LEDs, not delivered. In other words, they use as much power as they need. Putting a higher rated supply is not going to push more power to the LEDs and make them brighter, as you learned. All a more powerful supply will do is allow you to add more LEDs without them dimming. Regardless, shop for some high intensity LEDs to get the brightness yoy want. Or simply double up the rope.