Ceiling Fan & Light Wiring Sanity Check

Old 01-06-18, 08:45 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan & Light Wiring Sanity Check

Hi All. Hoping someone can sanity check a wiring diagram for me. I have a two gang box, one switch controls an outlet and the other is a 3-speed fan controller + light dimmer. I want to replace the fan/light switch combo with two smart switches (one GE light switch and one GE fan controller switch). Since it's a 2-gang box I'm going to ditch the outlet switch that's currently in there (don't use it anyway). Will the attached wiring work (left is current, right is proposed). Thanks in advanced!

Attached Images  
Old 01-06-18, 09:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,885 Upvotes on 3,482 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You aren't showing any neutral wiring there but with the cables that are there..... it would appear that the needed neutrals are also there. Your new switches should work fine.

Old 01-06-18, 09:02 AM
A
Thanks for your reply! Yes there are neutrals (and grounds), just didn't show them for clarity.

Old 01-06-18, 06:27 PM
A
Fan and light work great. Small problem... None of the outlets have power. Prior to removing the switch only 2 of the outlets were switched, but now not even the ones that were always hot work. Maybe I shouldn't have nutted the red and black from the switch together?

Old 01-06-18, 06:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,885 Upvotes on 3,482 Posts
I'm sorry..... yes.... now that you mention it. The black wire was connected to always live and the red was switched. Now you need to connect the black and red together and then to always live power.

Name:  qw.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  16.9 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: