Light Switch placement inside wardrobe?

Old 01-29-18, 11:24 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Light Switch placement inside wardrobe?

Hi,
My wife and I would like to put a sliding door on the outside of our walk in closet. Unfortunately the side of the door where it would slide has a light switch.
I can move the light switch onto the other side of the wall, i.e. in the closet. This would be fine, however I have a wardrobe flush on the other side. Can I cut a hole in the wardrobe and then mount a plastic electrical box onto the wood of the wardrobe (and into the drywall) For contect its an ikea PAX http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50214560/
There are no doors on the wardrobe so access to the switch wouldn't be an issue. I also plan to add a motion sensor so the light switch won't get much use anyway.
And lastly there isn't any room between the wardrobe and the edge opening of the door to mount the switch.

Option 2 would be to simply remove the light switch out of the equation & just use the motion detector. If I understand correctly to do that by code I would need to leave access to where the wires are joint so could just use an electrical box cover which the door should slide past without issue.

Lastly (Option 3) - I have a maximum 4" gap to play with between the wall and the wardrobe so I could operate it without cutting the hole in the wardrobe, I assume this is bad (and probably against code) because I couldn't get to the light socket to perform maintenance on it without removing the wardrobe first and hence why I started thinking about mounting the electrical socket into the side of the wardrobe.

Thanks in advance for your help. If you can think of a better option please let me know.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 01-29-18 at 01:10 PM. Reason: fixed link
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-18, 08:57 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Any thoughts on the best approach here? Iím edging towards just leaving the opening and forgetting the sliding door altogether.

Old 01-31-18, 06:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 207 Votes on 184 Posts
Both options 1 and 2 sound fine. As long a any splices are in a junction box and all junction boxes are accessible you should be good to go.
(note: accessible means you can gain access to them without damaging the building finish)