Ceiling fan: odd blinking light Issue

Old 01-29-18, 12:55 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan: odd blinking light Issue

Hi:
I've got a ceiling fan with an uplight and downlight that I've had for about 10 years. The switch is wireless and runs off a battery. Worked fine until recently. Recently, when I turn one of the lights on, either up or down or both, after about a half hour or so the light flickers ever so slightly. If the light stays on for over an hour, it won't turn off. When I hit the switch it blinks, flashes randomly, or otherwise does strange things. Sometimes I can get it turned off by fiddling with it for a few minutes; other times I have to turn it off at the breaker. When i turn it off at the breaker, after about 5 minutes the switch works fine.

Any suggestions? Thus far, I've replaced the battery in the wall switch, with no results. Since I've had this for awhile, the wiring is correct. I like the unit and would like to keep it.

Thanks for any suggestions!
p.s. the wall switch says Concorde, but I'm not sure if that's just the switch or the fan/light.

Old 01-29-18, 02:34 PM
S
After researching more, I'm convinced this might be a bad wattage limiter. Is it safe to bypass it, or should I be looking for a replacement. I see no reason bypassing it is not OK, if you never exceed the max wattage.

Old 01-29-18, 03:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,892 Upvotes on 3,489 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Yes.... you could bypass the wattage limiter but it sounds like your fan has two distinct lighting circuits. In that case it would be doubtful it's a limiter problem and more a remote control receiver problem. I would expect there to be two limiters one for each set of lights.

Old 02-05-18, 08:36 AM
S
Just wanted to follow up on a resolution to this in case someone else experiences the same strangeness. I actually found the owners manual for this unit, and found some odd things. In the back of the manual, it mentions that the unit has a watt limiter, and says not to exceed a total of 190 watts. It doesn't specify if this is the total, or one light, or both lights, or a combination of lights and the fan. The two light units are clearly marked --- the downlight unit has 3 sockets, and each one is marked do not exceed 60 watts (180 total). The uplight has 4 sockets, and says do not exceed 40 watts each (160 total). For years, I've run both of these full on, 160 up and 180 down, with no problems at all.

I opened the unit and found the watt limiter, which clearly says do not exceed 190. I removed it, wired everything back up, and still had the blinking issue after about a half hour (it starts with a mild flicker, then builds to a full on strobe) with both lights on. Then I started looking at new fans, but slept on it. The next day, I did a test where I put 2 bulbs in the downlight (120 watts total) and 2 in the uplight (80 total). I turned one light on at a time, for hours. And no blink or strobe!
So I'm considering it fixed, because 120 down is plenty, and the uplight is more for mood lighting anyway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: