Keep Existing SINGLE POLE Wifi Switch and Wire in a SINGLE POLE Dimmer

Old 01-30-18, 07:07 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Keep Existing SINGLE POLE Wifi Switch and Wire in a SINGLE POLE Dimmer

Hello,

I currently have a single pole wifi smarthome on/off wall light switch that turns on/off my lights via push of the button OR via a smart app. I currently installed some LED recessed lighting and no want to add a single pole dimmer slider switch AFTER the wifi switch.

My single pole wifi switch has a green (ground), white (neutral), black (hot), and red (output) wires. The single pole dimmer slider is going to be a leviton-6672-1lw with two(2) black wires and a green (ground) wire. I was thinking of simply twisting in the dimmer from the red output wire to the dimmer black input wire and then hook the black output wire to the recessed lighting black wire. So the dimmer slider would always be set to the brightness and the wifi switch will act as an on/off switch strictly.

Logically, I am thinking it will work, but I am not quite sure if it is safe and wanted to ask this question here before I wire it up. I am experienced in automobile electrical wiring, but I know that home wiring is totally different LOL.

Please help. Thanks in advance!

​​​​​​​Please see images for what I'm working with and what I drew up on how I plan to wire it.

Attached Images    

Last edited by gokooljapan; 01-30-18 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-30-18, 06:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,051 Upvotes on 3,634 Posts
The wiring in the diagram is correct..... however, It depends on the smart switch. Since it uses a neutral it may use a relay type switching output. Either post the model number for the switch or look at its specs. If it lists tungsten and motor loads.... it will work fine. Also.... if it lists appliance switching like the link below.... it's also ok.

Switch-Control-Appliances-Function-Compatible/dp/B077P14M3J

You can post the model number anyway.

Old 02-01-18, 09:01 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Just a follow up to my question.

I went ahead and installed the dimmer slide switch exactly how I have pictured and it worked beautifully! The wifi switch I have is pretty much a relay type switch since it does rely on the neutral wire. Please note I used a single pole wifi switch and a single pole dimmer switch.

Hope this helps anyone with the same dilemma.

Old 02-01-18, 07:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,051 Upvotes on 3,634 Posts
Yes.... the relay switching is what was required.

I'm not sure how many people would do this.
Most would just use a wifi controlled dimmer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: