Closet lighting & code

Old 01-31-18, 10:24 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Closet lighting & code

Hi,
Unless Iím misunderstanding something a flush mount led light should be 12Ē from the edge of a wardrobe to the edge of a light in a closet. So why is it ok to put led light strips inside your wardrobe or use lights like this that ikea sell? example lighting from ikea

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-18, 04:31 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 619 Votes on 572 Posts
There is no regulation over furniture. Some manufacturers may voluntarily get UL or CE approval but it's not required. Home wiring is regulated by building and electrical codes and when something is hard wired (not plugging into an outlet) it too is regulated. I think that portion of the code is out of date however and is based on older incandescent lights which can get hot enough to catch fire. Someday when incandescents are buried in history they might update the code to allow more flexibility in mounting cooler running LED's or whatever sci-fi technology may exist.

Old 02-01-18, 01:37 PM
K
So I'm looking at NEC 410.16. What does the last sentence in bold actually mean? My wardrobe is in a closet btw.
And on a different topic, are you saying that as long as the lights are plugged in this doesn't apply anyway?. I'm thinking about adding a set of light strips (plugged into the wall) to help brighten the closet.

NEC 410.16 - Lighting Fixtures closets Luminaires (lighting fixtures) installed in clothes closets shall have the following minimum clearances from the defined storage area:
12 inches for totally enclosed surface incandescent or LED luminaires.
6 inches for recessed totally enclosed incandescent, fluorescent or LED luminaires.
6 inches for surface mounted or recessed fluorescent luminaires.
Surface mounted fluorescent or LED luminaires listed for installation in storage space shall be permitted.

Old 02-01-18, 05:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 207 Votes on 184 Posts
Storage space is a space not used for hanging clothes like a pantry.

Old 02-05-18, 04:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 87 Votes on 74 Posts
These may help you visualize the storage spaces.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=16....0.G2sdzA5JgIM

Old 02-18-18, 01:08 PM
K
Iím still not 100% sure what I can and cannot do per code. Iíve fianlly progressed my project enough to share a picture. As you can see the tops of the wardrobe is almost ceiling height. Do I have to make sure there is 12Ē between the top of the wardrobe and the edge of the surface light? Iím planning to install an led light.

Name:  closet.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  35.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-18-18 at 01:52 PM. Reason: reoriented picture
Old 02-18-18, 01:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,104 Votes on 1,024 Posts
There needs to be 12" from a flammable material to the light. A dedicated LED light would be a good choice in that location.