Changing from remote controlled lighting to dimmer switch

Old 02-08-18, 04:05 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Changing from remote controlled lighting to dimmer switch

When I bought my house, the kitchen fan/light fixture was controlled via a remote control that just stored on the wall with a 1-gang magnetic plate. No wiring to the remote or anything like that. The remote gives you variable fan speed, lights on/off and timers. That's great, but I don't like it. I knock the remote off the wall accidently all the time and it smashes in pieces on the tile floor. Additionally, I'd prefer some dimming options AND ability to control with Alexa. So I pulled the 1-gang magnetic wall plate off the wall and, like I figured, there's normal wiring behind there. Two romex enter the box, one 2-conductor and one 4-conductor, plus bare ground on both. All 3 whites are nutted together, all 3 blacks are nutted together and both grounds. To me, this means there's always power sent to the fan fixture and the fixture does all the switching. So I guess my question is, even I were to disconnect these wire, interrupt power and install a switch, that's not going to turn the lights on. The fan probably needs to be converted to stop using the remote control? I don't see anything like that anywhere on the fan. Looks like a normal fan to me. Help?

Old 02-08-18, 06:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,049 Upvotes on 3,632 Posts
Seems the wire count is wrong.
If you have two cables..... there should only be two black wires and two white wires.
When you talk about cable.... it's the current carrying conductor plus ground.
Two wire cable is white and black w/ground.
Three wire cable is white, black, red w/ground.
Four wire cable is white, black. red, blue w/ground. (rare type cable)
Four wire cable is white w/black stripe, white w/red stripe, black, red w/ground (even rarer)

Anyway..... yes.... the remote control receiver is built in to the fan.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: