Playing the FOOL here...I think I've got this...

Old 02-13-18, 01:27 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Playing the FOOL here...I think I've got this...

I have built a 4 pennant vanity light for our spare bathroom. I didn't even think about this until it was time to install it...but where should I connect Ground to? As we all know, light fixtures are normally metal, and have a green screw in the back of the fixture base, or on the mounting bracket to mount the ground wire to. However, building mine from scratch and out of wood, there is no factory ground screw.

I took apart a 4 light pennant light to use as all of the hardware. I then make a 5 sided box to look like a Knotty Alder 5x5 post (no end grain showing at all), Finally, I drilled 4 holes straight down through the bottom to hang the hardware/bulbs from. Can I install a metal strip screwed into the wooden fixture and ground to that? Would that be ok?

Thanks for your advice! I am a very able DIY-er, but I have never thought about when there's no metal fixture or ground screw.

Old 02-13-18, 01:50 PM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
A ground connection on a light fixture is there to prevent any non-current-carrying metal from becoming energized and causing a shock hazard. Since your fixture is wood and wood is an insulator, you do not need a ground. Are the bulbs hung on cords or rods?

Old 02-13-18, 06:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Like 2john mentioned..... no metal.... no ground required.
You could post a picture of that fascinating sounding light. How-to-insert-pictures

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: