Light fixture won’t turn off. Single pole with 3 sets of wires

Old 02-12-18, 10:21 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Light fixture won’t turn off. Single pole with 3 sets of wires

Let me begin by saying that I know nothing about home electrical systems. I take that back. As a child, I learned that Getting zapped sucks. Here’s the run down: I wanted to change my light switch in my garage to one with a motion sensor. I pull the old switch and notice there are 3 sets of wires. All the white wires bundled together as are the 3 grounds( bare copper). The one black wire is attached to one screw and the two other bblack wires are twisted together with an extra piece. I’m assuming for easy connection purpose. I had a little bit of trouble but eventually I’m successful at upgrading my switch. That’s when I learn that there’s a difference between a vacancy switch and an occupancy switch. Obviously I installed the one I didn’t want. I buy an occupancy switch and wire it exactly as I had the vacancy. To my surprise , it’s working. Almost. The light is on. LED is on. But there’s no change when I push the on/off button. I can here it clicking but the fixture remains lit. I try switching up the black wire combos. Flip flop the line and hot wires. LED is now off but the fixture is still on. The switch isn’t clicking anymore either. To add to it the light and vent in they laundry isn’t working either. That switch is located on the other side of the wall I’m working on. Bonus! Some of my other lights aren’t working as well. Porch light and aquarium light which is plugged into a socket. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-12-18, 11:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

All the whites stay tied together.
The single black wire is the load/light.
The two black wires that were tied together with a tail connected are hot and must remain connected together.

Old 02-12-18, 11:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Pictures of wires and brand and model # of switch would help. Pro's will be i n later.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: