Interesting wiring found on flood light

Old 02-18-18, 05:28 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Interesting wiring found on flood light

Hi all,

I can do a lot around the house. Electricity is not one of them but I want to learn.

I replaced three older flood light units (two lights per unit) on the outside of my house. Each one had one black and one white wire coming out of the eve of the home which I connected to the one black and one white wire on the new LED motion fixtures that I installed. No problems. They work like a champ. Bam!

When I got to the unit on my garage, I disconnected the older light fixture and found two pairs of wires (one black and one white wire per pair) going to EACH food light of the older unit independently. In other words, there are four wires, two white and two black, coming out of the eve of the house. One black and one white were each connected to each light of the old flood light unit. I cut the pairs way down to give myself plenty of slack to work with.

My new flood light unit only has one black and one white wire with which to connect. There is also a red wire on the fixture that appears to be running to the motion detector but you can't connect a wire to it. It's just internal. How should I approach this? Of the following, what should I do? Only one light switch turned on the fixture that I took down:

1. Connect both black wires from the eve to the black wire of the fixture and do the same with the white?
2. Connect one set from the eve to the black wire of the fixture and one set to the white?
3. Retire and move to a cabin without electricity?

Thanks for anything, see picture of wires coming from the house.
JR

Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  46.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-18-18 at 10:14 AM. Reason: enlarged/enhanced pic
Old 02-18-18, 10:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,525 Votes on 1,408 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I couldn't see your picture so I enlarged it for you.

When doing electrical work.... all wiring splices need to be contained within an approved electrical box. You appear to have 2) two wire cables just coming thru the soffit. That means the splices are just stuck under the fixture canopy. There are surface boxes as well as cut-in type boxes that can be used there. It depends on the type of the fixture.

Since you have two cables.... one carries power to that location and the other one carries power to another location. The whites remain connected together and the blacks also. Same for the grounds. Your fixture white goes to the white splice and the same for the black wire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: